Eurocontrol's teams supported the Islazul Shopping Centre to establish and implement two sustainable water management plans (2015-2019 and 2019-2022 periods) and carry out an audit of water use every two years.
The sustainable water management plan:
a necessary tool for effective and efficient water use
A multi-stage assignment
The preparation of the SWM Plan is structured around three basic phases:
- Initial collection and analysis of information
- On-site data collection
- Proposed improvements, structured around different operational programmes, based on the work carried out in the previous phases and in agreement with the Islazul Shopping Centre maintenance team.
After the analysis and data collection, a report is drafted in which the operational programmes are developed, covering the following aspects:
- Management programmes: focused on controlling water consumption in all phases of the consumer's activity
- Savings programmes: focusing on awareness raising and good practices
- Efficiency programmes: focusing on technical improvements to reduce consumption
- Replacement programmes / reuse programmes: focusing on water reuse projects
- Waste control / pollution reduction programmes: water quality monitoring and legal compliance in terms of discharge
Following the initial audit, concrete measures were implemented at the Islazul Shopping Centre:
- Installation of sub-meters to monitor consumption by zones
- Training campaigns for employees and the public
- Replacement of taps and other consumer systems with more efficient ones
- Implementation of a preventive maintenance plan for consumption points
- Installation of an irrigation water recovery system for the vertical garden
- Implementation of a rainwater reuse system for cleaning the facilities
All these measures and the missions carried out by the Eurocontrol teams contributed to the success of this plan.