inspection of low voltage installations
Current legislation establishes the obligation to carry out initial and periodic regulatory inspections of low voltage electrical installations. Specifically, the procedure for inspections and their frequency are regulated by Royal Decree 842 / 2002, of 2 August, which approves the Low Voltage Electrotechnical Regulations.
The massive use of low voltage electrical installations in homes, buildings, premises of all types, industries, etc., entails a potential risk that must be minimised. Therefore, these installations are subject to strict regulation in terms of their execution and commissioning and their safety requirements, maintenance procedures and control. The Regulation establishes the technical conditions and guarantees that must be met by electrical installations connected to a supply source within the low voltage limits, in order to preserve the safety of persons and property, to ensure the normal operation of these installations and prevent disturbances to other installations and services, and to contribute to the technical reliability and economic efficiency of the installations.
Eurocontrol has extensive experience in carrying out the tests required by low voltage regulatory inspections (verification of electrical panels, verification of safety devices: differentials, earths, ATEX (explosive atmospheres), etc.), as well as the inspection of energy efficiency in outdoor lighting installations.
Types of inspection
- The installations listed below, prior to their commissioning and after major modification/repair or extension, shall be subject to initial inspection:
- Industrial installations requiring a project, with an installed power, greater than 100 kW.
- Premises of Public Concurrence; Premises for Shows and recreational activities Premises for meetings, work and sanitary uses Premises classified in conditions BD2, BD3 and BD4 Premises with an occupancy capacity of more than 100 persons.
- Premises with risk of fire or explosion, class I, except garages with less than 25 spaces.
- Premises with special characteristics.
- Wet premises with an installed power of more than 25 kW * Swimming pools with an installed power of more than 25 kW
- Swimming pools with an installed power of more than 10 kW.
- Operating theatres and operating theatres.
- Outdoor lighting installations with an installed power of more than 5 kW.
- All the low voltage electrical installations listed in the previous point: every 5 years
- Common installations in residential buildings with a total installed power of more than 100 kW: every 10 years
The inspection of outdoor lighting installations included in Royal Decree 842/2002 (those described in ITC-BT 09; fountains, subject of ITC-BT 3; festive and Christmas lighting, covered in ITC-BT 34), is regulated by Royal Decree 1890/2008, of 14 November, (BOE 19/11/2008), which approves the Regulation on energy efficiency in outdoor lighting installations.
Types of inspection
- Initial inspection for installations with more than 5 kW of installed power.
- Periodic inspection for installations with more than 5 kW of installed power.
- Every 5 years
Discover our other
Why choose Eurocontrol ?